In 1901, the six British colonies in Australia federated to form the Commonwealth of Australia.
Parliament is housed in the New Parliament House building which was opened in 1988. Prior to that the Parliament was housed in Old Parliament House, Canberra (9 May 1927 – 9 May 1988. Federal Parliament meetings were first held in Melbourne until 1927.
Queen Elizabeth II opened the current Parliament House on 9 May 1988.